Tuesday, September 9, 2008

OLYMPICS!!

This weekend the kids swim school held an "Olympics" race....Ben was TOTALLY convinced he was going to be in the real Olympics and ask several people if they were going to watch him on TV!! I felt like the race was a big deal at our house as we were prepping for the Olympics but I have to say...this was our first experience with crazy competitive parents! There is a little play area at the place and my kids love to play in there...right when we get there the kids go and play. There was a little boy standing by the play area asking his dad if he can play the dad said "No, you need to conserve your energy for the race" the little boy says "I have LOTS of energy" then the dad says "well, then you better get first place"....WHAT??? this little boy was like 4 or 5 years old and the dad wouldn't let him play for a couple of minutes because he HAD to get first place!! Also, they had TONS of super yummy food (Chipotle, Jamba Juice, Florindinos, Somburros...) and there was a little girl that kept crying because she was hungry or thirsty and the mom WOULD NOT let her eat anything because it might affect her race...do these parents know this is supposed to be FUN?!? Don't get me wrong...I wanted my kids to do well in the race but do you really think a little drink is going to affect a 5 year old race??? Anyway, the event was super fun and the kids LOVED it and did really well Sammy and Ben were both able to get first place in a race (even though I let them eat and play beforehand)! Sammy showing off her ribbon
The Fire Department also came...the kids loved checking out the truck!

This isn't a great picture...but this is Ben holding a REAL gold medal!! Also under his left hand you can see the bottom of a real Olympic torch!!


That night Sammy's dance team had a big swim party...since Benson can't get in the water (because of his knee surgery) I just brought Sammy and Ben...they went down the big slide probably 25 times in a row! It was a really fun party!!

9 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow, what kind of parent doesn't let their kid play or EAT?! Come on people. I hope you shoved it in their face that YOUR kids won and you didn't restrict their activities or diet. Gimme a break! On a brighter note, I'm super glad they won! And got to touch a real gold medal! And the firetruck, COOL! Then a party, FUN!!!!

Alexa said...

Your story about those crazy parents is pretty disturbing! Anyway, that's fun that Sammy and Ben won after all! :)

The Weights said...

Isn't is amazing how parents put pressure on their kids at such a young age!! It is actually SAD!!! I am glad that your kids have amazing parents who "GET IT"! I am so glad that they had fun!! That's the biggest win of all!

Let's get together soon!! Email me and we can figure it out!!

Britany said...

I am so sad that we missed it! :( When are we having our olympic party to come watch Ben on video???

Britany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

that is funny about the parents being that crazy with kids! Im sure you wanted to go to them and tell them your kids still got 1st AND you let them play and eat!

cute pictures

Amy said...

That's awesome your kids took first place! Mrs. Kara taught them well!!!

Pam said...

How totally fun! Don't you just love those crazy over-competitive parents? YIKES!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm....Someburros.

Some parents just crack me up how serious they are about life. Poor kids!